Thursday, March 10, 2011

My Montessori In Making

I heard first of the word Montessori when there were a Montessori and Kumon boom back home in Malaysia in the early 90's. Couldnt be bothered what that really was since i dont have a kid yet until when i was looking around for a daycare for Yuta. I sent him to a home day care so called montessori method but was not impressed with that, after 3 months i stop sending him. and i started looking again after 3 months, and i found this wonderful school nearby our house. I also went to a tour in few other school but after looking at the montessori child development centre, i know that was my choice.
Yuta is going to the montessori school 3 days a week for over a year now. I see significant improvement in his personalitiy, level of responsibilities besides all other academic improvement. I went on to read alot more about montessori method from books and online resources. Without formal education of either early childhood development or montessori method, i took me so long to actually begin my montessori journey. My objective is to incorporate montessori teaching in my children learning routine. I dont plant to homeschool but teach montessori as a supplement.
The setting up part is the most difficult. Ihave tried to make a classroom in a room, it didnt work out, i set the learning space in the living room, it didnt work out either. This is my 3rd attempt to set up a learning space, and by far it is the most comfortable for three of us.
I dont have all those shelving to accomodate materials, just using whatever shelve and table and material that i have. A big moving will take place in another 2 months so i dont plan to buy anymore shelve/furniture for the classroom. Just need to make as many material as possible and when we get back to Japan, i can just put them up right away. I feel sad sometimes that iwont be able to send children to montessori school anymore because is just too expensive in japan for a international montessori school.
This is my place to document down all my ups and down in our montessori journey and i hope one day i can look back at this blog and proud of what i have done.

4 comments:

  1. hey, den later u can combine both US/JP's pros n open 1 in MY :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. btw, when u goin bck JP? sounds soon... would u b bck to MY b4 heading bck JP?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah co, just trial and error stage, but i like the montessori method. will move back to jp in june/july, no stop by in MY this time. see u in TKO if you are coming

    ReplyDelete